Mixed Paelle Dish (Seafood & Meat)
- 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 2 pinches saffron
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups Valencia rice, such as Goya brand
- 12 ounces chorizo, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 large shrimp (about 4 ounces), peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- 12 mussels, scrubbed
- 1 lb Spanish cooking chorizo, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil and stir in the saffron. Reduce the heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onion and bell pepper and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the tomato and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and the simmering broth; scatter the chorizo on top. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and loosely cover the pan with foil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Scatter the shrimp, mussels and chorizo sausage on the rice, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the seafood is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Remove the paella from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with the lemon wedges and parsley.