- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- To make the shrimp and grits recipe, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel.
- Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.