- Coconut or olive oil for cooking
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained, or 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- If you haven’t yet, cook quinoa and set aside to cool (see notes for instructions).
- Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.
- Add in the cooked quinoa, bread crumbs, salt, Cajun seasoning, garlic, paprika, salt, and tomato paste. Mix until combined.
- Form the black bean mixture into patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve on a whole-wheat hamburger bun with guacamole, barbecue sauce, and other desired toppings, or on top of a salad.
- Enjoy and don’t forget to hashtag, #dinnerwithtayo.